Reading Time: ( Word Count: )
In order to be accredited by the BBB a company must have a complete background check and agree to the BBB Code which represents sound advertising, selling and customer service practices that enhance customer trust and confidence in business. It is built on the BBB Standards for Trust, eight principles that summarize important elements of creating and maintaining trust in business.
The BBB Standards of Trust include:
- Build Trust – Establish and maintain a positive track record in the marketplace
- Advertise Honestly – Adhere to established standards of advertising and selling
- Tell the Truth – Honestly represent products and services, including clear and adequate disclosures of all material terms
- Be Transparent – Openly identify the nature, location, and ownership of the business, and clearly disclose all policies, guarantees and procedures that bear on a customer’s decision to buy
- Honour Promises – Abide by all written agreements and verbal representations
- Be Responsive – Address marketplace disputes quickly, professionally, and in good faith
- Safeguard Privacy – Protect any data collected against mishandling and fraud, collect personal information only as needed, and respect the preferences of customers regarding the use of their information
- Embody Integrity – Approach all business dealings, marketplace transactions and commitments with integrity
My personal favourite is the 8th standard, because to have integrity means that you abide by all the standards of the BBB code. A table with only two legs – cannot stay upright. It must have integrity to stand including morality, truth, and honour. These are what make businesses stand upright and these are also the same principles which Barr Electric’s company motto – Doing It Right! – is founded on.